Belt sanders can be used for a variety of jobs and can make your projects faster and easier to complete. Because they’re meant to be used on large, flat surfaces, belt sanders can refinish wood or metal cabinets, tables, and floors quickly and effectively. Just remember to use the right grit sandpaper.
With sandpaper, the higher the number, the finer the grit. So, if you’re trying to remove stain, polyurethane, or layers of paint, go for a heavy grit like 60. If you’re sanding a cabinet, shelf, or anything that’s unfinished, go with a medium or fine grit between 100 and 200.
This article will show you the list of Best Belt Sander For Deck that you can consider.
Here are the best belt sanders for deck you can buy in 2023:
- Best Overall: Makita 9903 Variable Speed Belt Sander
- Runner Up: Metabo HPT Belt Sander
- Best Budget: SKIL 7510-01 Sandcat Belt Sander
- Premium Choice: Makita 9403 Belt Sander
- Lightest: WEN 6321 Corded Belt Sander
- Best Dust Collection: CRAFTSMAN CMEW213 Belt Sander
- Most Versatile: WEN 6515T Belt Sander/Sanding Disc
|7 Best Belt Sanders For Deck|
|Makita 9903 Variable Speed Belt Sander|
|Metabo HPT Belt Sander|
|SKIL 7510-01 Sandcat Belt Sander|
|Makita 9403 Belt Sander|
|WEN 6321 Corded Belt Sander|
Best Dust Collection
|CRAFTSMAN CMEW213 Belt Sander|
|WEN 6515T Belt Sander/Sanding Disc |
Best Overall: Makita 9903 Variable Speed Belt Sander
- Operates without making a loud noise
- Easy to keep dust out of the work area
- Equipped with a long power cord
- Dust bag attachment can easily fall off
- Can bog down in some instances
This product combines power and speed with ease-of-use features and less noise for fast and efficient stock removal. The product is ideal for woodworkers, carpenters, furniture makers, floor installers, deck builders, and general contractors who require a best-in-class belt sander.
It also features less noise: at only 84dB, it is one of the quietest sanders in its class. Ease-of-use features include an auto-tracking belt system that tracks the belt without adjustment and a front grip for comfortable operation. The low profile design provides better balance, and the extended base allows sanding flush to the wall with nose and side of sander.
|Makita 9903 Variable Speed Belt Sander Specifications|
3” * 21”
It is a lightweight and portable choice. This is perfect even if you frequently sand outside of your home.
Runner Up: Metabo HPT Belt Sander
- Great forced labor
- Easy to use
- The belt is prone to tearing
The product comes with a powerful 9 amp motor for high performance on the job. It offers more visibility of the surface with its clear tracking window while adding comfort with soft, ergonomic grips for long periods of use. Equipped with a left-mounted dust bag for a clean-up and flush surface design for quick and even sanding, this sander can handle any job thrown its way.
A 9 amp motor delivers high performance. Lightweight, compact design for reduced fatigue and improved control. The left side-mounted dust collection bag reduces airborne particles. Tracking window improves visibility of surface and sanding belt. Soft, elastomer grips for a comfortable and secure hold. Flush surface for quick and even sanding. Wear-resistant V-belt drives sander for double service life.
|Metabo HPT Belt Sander Specifications|
3” * 21”
Products have an average life of 2 times longer than conventional products thanks to the wear-resistant V-belt.
Best Budget: SKIL 7510-01 Sandcat Belt Sander
- Pressure Control Technology
- Auto-track System
- Micro-filtration system
- Short life span
The Skil 7510-01 is a 3-by-18-inch belt sander that has a pressure-control feedback system and a micro-filtration system, designed to capture fine dust particles.
The automatic pressure-control feedback system sets this model apart from others. As you use the machine, the pressure-control technology will monitor your sanding pressure. An indicator lights up when the right amount of pressure is applied, removing some guesswork from your sanding projects. With other belt sanders, you must use your own judgment about the amount of pressure you should apply, which could give you sub-par results.
|SKIL 7510-01 Sandcat Belt Sander Specifications|
3” * 18”
At an affordable price, the product has almost all the necessary functions of the belt sanding machine.
Premium Choice: Makita 9403 Belt Sander
- Easy to use
- Quiet operation
The extended base of this double-insulated, Makita 4” x 24” belt sander allows flush sanding for any number of projects. The wide 4” belt allows users to remove a lot of material at once but you won’t go deaf using it thanks to the 84 dB that keeps the noise level down.
This sander is the quietest in its class. The large front grip is comfortable to use and control with an easy lever control that makes changing sanding belts simple, fast and easy.
The whole sander only weighs 13 pounds and provides a speed of 1640 feet per minute so you can get jobs done quickly.
The ceramic wear plate is replaceable and eliminates long maintenance periods. The low profile gives the sander balance and reduces gouging. The labyrinth construction seals the motor and bearings and protects them from sawdust.
Dust will be kept to a minimum with the attached, cloth dust bag that swivels 360 degrees.
|Makita 9403 Belt Sander Specifications|
4” * 24”
This belt sander is one of the fastest devices on this list. Another reason why you should opt for this sander is that it has a quiet sound.
Best Lightweight: WEN 6321 Corded Belt Sander
- Great value compared with similar belt sanders
- Easy to use
- No bag or case for storage
- No adjustable handle (trade-off is the lower price)
- The dust collector is quickly clogged
WEN 6321 Corded Belt Sander is an acceptable manageable size and weight because it's corded rather than battery-powered. It's also easy to clean and has automatic function possibilities. It absolutely easily deburrs jagged splinters, peels paint and polishes edges.
For quick and easy material removal, the high-powered 7-amp motor spins the belt at a pace of 820 feet per minute. Adjusting grits and replacing sandpapers is a breeze with the fast-release sanding belt. The belt can reach and sand even the tightest of corners because the front roller extends past the top edge of the housing. Because of its light but strong construction, the sander weighs only 6 pounds, reducing user fatigue.
Besides, it has a spacious dust bag that catches any of the dust or residue that flies off your project. It has an extended front roller that hangs over the body of the sander and can help you reach into tight corners and narrow spaces.
|WEN 6321 Corded Belt Sander Specifications|
3” * 21”
The product can help deburr jagged splinters, finish edges, and strip paint from many surfaces.
Best Dust Collection: CRAFTSMAN CMEW213 Belt Sander
- Perfect for light to medium use
- Can adjust 3 positions handle easily
- Overheat after long time use
The CRAFTSMAN CMEW213 Belt Sander is a high-recommended product for use. It has a 7-amp and max800 FPM that can quickly remove materials. Due to its power, the belt sander can get the job done right the first time. Because of its angled form, users may easily sand the borders of surrounding surfaces. It allows you to see exactly where you're sanding and what you're sanding.
For added comfort and adaptability, this molded handle may be easily changed into three positions. The belts are changed without the need for any tools. Pull the red belt lever all the way out until the belt is loose, then replace it with a new belt with the arrows pointing in the same direction as the sander's arrows. But sometimes, it isn't really stable and can shift around when in use.
For practical storage, it's also compatible with the VERSATRACK Wall Organization System. Moreover, it is also equipped with a high-capacity dust collection with an integrated dust bag.
|CRAFTSMAN CMEW213 Belt Sander Specifications|
3 x 21 inches
This is a highly rated product for easy belt replacement and is equipped with a dust bag that also collects good dust.
Most Versatile: WEN 6515T Belt Sander/Sanding Disc
- 2-in-1 sander
- Mess-free operation
- Reasonable price
- Easy instructions
- Complicated to assemble
WEN 6515T Belt Sander/Sanding Disc could be considered as the most user-friendly system and the most features perfect for users. Users can expect speeds of up to 3160 feet per minute on the belt and 3450 RPM on the disc using a 2.3-amp motor.
The large 1-inch-by-30-inch belt is simple to change, giving you the ability to rapidly and simply switch sandpaper grits. The powerful and two distinct systems come with the 1x30 belt grinder. This 1x30 belt sander is a capable and secure device that comes with a variety of benefits.
Moreover, the dust collection was better than expected. The provided adapter connects two separate dust ports to either 1-1/2" or 2" dust hoses. This useful sander is suitable for both domestic and industrial use. This product can also be used for a variety of tasks on workbenches. The device also has a wider range of applications due to its precise sanding, and it allows you to provide the most durable equipment as well as a well-organized vacuum system.
|WEN 6515T Belt Sander/Sanding Disc Specifications|
1x30 leather belt
|Disc Size||5 inches|
This is a lightweight, compact 2-in-1 sander. Perfect for craft & handyman use.
1. What is the belt sander good for?
Belt sanders can be used for a variety of tasks such as trimming to a scribed line, sanding rough surfaces, leveling surfaces (replacement board in a hardwood floor), freehand rounding, and shaping are all popular applications,...
It is ideal for making wood ready to be worked on in the first place. A belt sander can quickly remove any substance from wood. In addition, unlike orbital and vibrating sanders, the sanding motion is linear that we may sand with the grain and produce a good-looking result even with coarse grits. Here are some features of a belt sander:
- Fast and powerful
- It's best for a hard effort
- Large, flat surfaces are ideal
- Anti-dust system
2. what is the difference between a belt sander and an orbital sander?
There are basic differences between a belt sander and an orbital sander.
- The Orbital Sander sanding uses the discs to revolve in small circles, whereas the Belt Sander uses a continuous loop of sandpaper.
- Orbital Sander is better for smaller pieces of furniture and fitting into tight places, whereas Belt Sandler is ideal for powerful and big amounts of material.
- Belt sanders work on flat surfaces, but Orbital sanders may work at difficult angles.
Orbital sanders use sanding discs that rotate in small circles. They're square in shape, which makes them ideal for working with corners and edges.
Belt sander is made up of an electric motor that spins a pair of drums to which a sandpaper loop is linked. They're a little more substantial than orbital sanders. Belt sanders are also powerful, capable of quickly removing a huge amount of material and working with vast surfaces.
3. Can I use a belt sander on my desk?
Using the belt sander is fantastic for smoothing up the rougher surface of the deck. Belt sanders, whether hand-held or big upright models have a tendency to gouge softwoods. It can create to quickly sand rough wood planks. Working in a tiny part of the desk is preferable. Before joining in the task, we always make sure it has a good grip on the belt sander while operating. Apply mild pressure once you work with the wood. Here are some tips for using the belt sander effectively and safely:
- Always wearing a particle mask and safety glasses when sanding, as wood dust can be harmful if inhaled.
- Knee pads and hearing protectors will also make your task safer and more comfortable.
- Before you sand, make sure your deck is completely dry. Wait several days before sanding if there has been recent rain or if the house has been power washed.
- Treat the deck surface, railings, and board edges as distinct chores, with separate sanding processes for each.
4. What grit should I use to sand my deck?
This depends on the type of wood used to construct your deck. Sand the deck with 20 to 50 grit sandpaper on the first pass and 60 to 80 grit on the second run on a belt sander to open the wood grain so it absorbs stain or paint. It means that we should only use 60/80 grit sandpaper at maximum to make the surface to be smoother but not so smooth that it interferes with the finish's absorption.
- Hardwood (lumber from deciduous trees, such as redwood): sanding with 20-grit sandpaper can be used to smooth the wood, repeat the initial sanding with a finer grain.
- Softwood (coniferous tree lumber, such as cedar) requires more gentle handling. 50-grit sandpaper should be used for the initial sanding.
5. What size are belt sanders?
3x18 inch sanders; 3x21 inch sanders; and 3x24 inch sanders
The conventional belt sander uses a 3-inch broad belt, but three alternative sizes are to pick from 3x18-inch sanders, 3x21-inch sanders, and 3x24-inch sanders.
- The 3x18-inch sander is the smallest and lightest, allowing for easier one-handed use.
- The 3x21 inch sander is the medium sander. We need some arm strength to operate them securely. A 3" x 21" sander is a popular size for use. This site provides a large sanding area without the fatigue that comes with operating a large machine.
- The larger sanders have the advantage of being able to operate on wide planks of wood for a more consistent finish.
How To Choose The Best Belt Sander For Deck?
Sanding wood is a time-consuming job. However, if you want to achieve a good end for your products, you should spend more time on your woodworking job. However, today this is easier and more economical for this job while still bringing high aesthetic value. So to choose the appropriate sanding machine, you need to rely on what criteria, let us help you!
Which type of sander?
- Belt sander: Belt sanders are the rough guys in a woodworking shop. Belt sander design allows them to remove large amounts of material in a very short time.
Belt sanders work on a continuous loop principle. it is a highly effective tool for removing roughness and preparing woodwork for less aggressive tools in the process like random orbit and finishing sanders.
It is essential to size your belt sander fit your needs.
- Orbital Sander: Orbital sanders are versatile. These will polish a piece of wood to give the same brightness as a well-finished sanding machine.
Another advantage of orbital sanding machines is their one-hand operation instead of requiring both hands as belt scrubbers.
- Air Sander: Air sander is generally lighter. After all, there was no motor. As a result, they can also be quieter and more lasting. The tools are usually much cheaper. However, the downside of the air sander is the dust collector. It is often congested
Sanding space size
This is no general tool review, where we tell you that an honest appraisal of what you need it for is your first step. We’ve established that you need a sander for your deck. So, the question becomes: what, honestly, do you need this for?
Not all decks are created equally. Some decks have odd-shaped corners and differences in design. If you have detail work, you’re going to want a sander that accommodates it. If you like monotonous-looking things, you’ll want a model that delivers speed and power while giving short shrift to versatility.
Getting a decent sander doesn’t mean emptying out your bank account. You can get decent quality at a pretty reasonable price, especially if deck sanding is all you’re going to do with it. Sometimes we’d suggest looking in the middle to match quality and price, but we found that the middle ground on sanders doesn’t offer great value.
It’s difficult to recommend the best sander for furniture because there are so many different applications. With a different wood product, there will be different criteria to choose different sanding products.
- Cabinetry making: There is a difference between furniture making and cabinet making. There is little difference between sanding requirements, though, and you will likely use both belt sanders and sheet finishing sanders.
- Stair construction: This skill requires a large amount of sanding, with particular attention to speed and smoothness. Here, the wireless random orbital sander is irreplaceable.
- Toy production: Good work like making toys requires unique tools like disc grinding or palm sanders.
What to pay attention to when choosing a sander?
Whether you choose a belt sander, an orbital sander, or an air sander, you should keep the following in mind so that you can choose the right sander for your wood products.
- Hand grips: Powerful sanders have heavy vibration, while small sanders need intricate control to avoid damaging fine details.
- Soft grips make it much easier to hold and control your sander.
- Dust collection: Creating dust when sanding is inevitable. However, choose a product with a good dust collection system to avoid interrupting the finishing process of your wood product.
- Speed: Speed is important for finishing your product well or not. For products with large cross-sections, you need a strong speed, fast and decisively. And for those products that need meticulous details, you need a softer and softer speed.
Which Brands Make The Best Belt Sander For Deck?
Makita: The Makita U.S.A., Inc. Head Office is located in La Mirada, California, and operates an extensive distribution network located throughout the U.S. The Makita Corporation of America is located in Buford, Georgia, and is part of a global Makita network of ten manufacturing and assembly plants that is the source of Makita products used on job sites around the world. The product development team works closely with engineers on job sites to develop products that exceed the demands of the American contractor.
WEN Products: Founded by Nick Anton back in 1951, WEN originally made its mark by helping bring tools and electricity together (putting the power into power tools). Our research and development team played a vital role in helping to develop a variety of common everyday tools such as the chainsaw, the electric soldering gun, the electric jigsaw, the electric engraver, and the knife and wet wheel sharpeners. WEN even pioneered random orbital technology; the technology seen in most polishers, waxers, and buffers today that gives cars everywhere the streak-free shine they deserve.
SKIL: The company now focuses more on the do-it-yourself consumer, but at one time made professional construction-grade power tools, which are now being sold under their subsidiary, SKILSAW. Skil products include circular saws, cordless drill/drivers, cordless screwdrivers, cordless tackers, cordless sealant guns, belt sanders, random orbit sanders, multi-sanders, angle grinders, hammers, drills, mixers, jigsaws, lasers and measuring tools, reciprocating saws, routers, and planers.
We strongly recommend using a belt sander to complete the deck working. It will save your time and work effectively. Above is the list of the best belt sanders for a deck that you can consider. Have a good day!