Orbital Sander also known as: circular sander, finishing sander, pad sander, palm sander, quarter-sheet sander, rotary sander, sheet sander, vibrating sander
Orbital sanders are compact tools which can be used one-handed and have excellent handling.
This paper is held onto the flat square sanding surface using two spring-loaded clamps. Many of this sander’s nicknames are derived from the tiny circular orbits in which the sanding pad vibrates.
Commonly referred to as a perfect sanding machine, this tool is built for extremely fine work, such as removing baits, rounding sharp edges and creating a superfine surface especially for products woodworking products.
Here are the best Orbital Sanders for Woodworking you can buy in 2023
- Best-Overall: Bosch (ROS20VSK) Palm Sander
- Runner-up:DEWALT (DWE6423K) Random Orbit Sander
- Best Budget:BLACK+DECKER BDERO100 Random Orbit Sander
- Most Quiet: PORTER-CABLE Random Orbit Sander, 5-Inch (382)
- Premium Choice: Makita BO5041K Random Orbit Sander
- Most Powerful: DEWALT Random Orbit Sander, 5-Inch (DWE6421K)
1. Best-Overall: Bosch ROS20VSK Palm Sander
The product delivers fast removal and a well-blended, ultra smooth finish. This tool is designed to allow finish carpenters and cabinet makers to complete their tasks quickly and to exacting standards, without swirl marks.
It has an integral pad dampening braking system to eliminate swirl marks on the finished piece. This tool provides rapid removal and an ultra-smooth finish. It was designed with an ergonomic soft-grip top and body.
- Easy to change sandpaper
- The dust collector works well
- The flatness of sanding pads is easily bent
Verdict: If you're afraid of dirt, this is an ideal product: Not only does it cut dust significantly, but a sander does an EXCELLENT job in top finishing.
2. Runner-up: DEWALT DWE6423K Random Orbit Sander
The DWE6423 5" Random Orbit Sander has a 3 amp motor. The separate counterweight reduces vibration and along with the rubber overmold grip provides comfortable sanding. A shorter design allows users to get closer to the work surface and the one-handed locking dust bag attaches securely to the sander to aid in dust collection.
It can polish and perform finishing work at half the time of other random orbital sanders. This gives you a boost in productivity right there.
Additionally, the motor pack at the bottom of the unit has an air vent for good air circulation to make cooler temperature.
- Powerful motor
- Easy to use
- Compatible dust bag
- Difficult to connect the dust port to an external air vacuum
Verdict: This is a perfect product for woodworking.
3. Best Budget: BLACK+DECKER BDERO100 Random Orbit Sander
The product is an affordable 5-inch random orbital sanding machine, great for finishing sanding tasks.
This is one of the most affordable products on the market but it is one of the very powerful tools for beginners and budget-conscious.
The engine is quite fast at 2 Amps and operates on 120 Volts. It does a good job of energizing the trajectory movements of the sanding pads to remove materials efficiently and at high speeds.
It ensures sufficient supply for conventional sanding tasks that require a smooth finish.
- Decent performance
- Easy to use
- Easy to change sandpaper
- No variable speed control
- Small dust canister
Verdict: This is one of the cheapest products on the market but still ensures all the functions that an orbital sander machine needs.
4. PORTER-CABLE Random Orbit Sander, 5-Inch (382)
The PORTER-CABLE Random Orbit Sander provides maximum sanding speeds needed features a controlled finishing system maintaining controllable pad speeds while minimizing gouging during start up for smooth finishes.
Sander includes a dual plane counter, balanced fan reducing user fatigue, dust-sealed switch protecting against dust ingestion for longer switch life and sealed 100% ball bearing construction.
This product is equipped with a 1.9-amp motor, allowing you to power through sanding applications big and small to as fine a finish as you need.
- Easy to change dust bag
- The dust collector is easily turned off after a short period of time
Verdict: This is a product with a good budget but still receives high appreciation from consumers; the product has the basic functions to meet consumer needs.
5. Premium Choice: Makita BO5041K Random Orbit Sander
The product combines power, speed and performance with improved grip and control, including an innovative adjustable front handle. It is ideal for woodworkers, finish carpenters and general contractors.
The product comes highly recommended by our team and several users around the world. The Makita BO5041K features 3 amp motor that encourages a smooth and quick sanding process. It is a tool built to deliver different levels of speed via its variablle speed control dial.
Additional comfort and ease-of-use features include a new adjustable front handle to allow for sanding in corners and confined areas, as well as ergonomic rubberized handles for improved operator comfort and control.
- Low vibration
- Easy to use
- Speed change button is easy to move
Verdict: This is one of those products that makes you happy, and especially you can easily change the speed.
6. Most Powerful: DEWALT Random Orbit Sander, 5-Inch (DWE6421K)
DEWALT Random Orbit Sander, 5-Inch (DWE6421K). It has a compact, solid construction while still being relatively lightweight. The textured body gives it a nice grip, making it easy to control hold on to.
One thing that sticks out about this sander is its dust collection system. It’s more durable than some of the less expensive options while still fitting within your budget.
- Prolong life
- Convenient dust bag
- Single speed
Verdict: If you plan to use it for a lot of big projects, you should consider buying this product because it is not the best choice.
Sander Buying Guide
Sanding wood is a time-consuming job. However, if you want to achieve a good end for your products then you should spend more time on your woodworking job. However, today this is easier and more economical for this job while still bringing high aesthetic value; to choose the appropriate sanding machine, some criteria below are important that you should pay attention to.
Which type of sander?
- Belt sander: Belt sanders are the rough guys in a woodworking shop. Belt sander design allows them to remove large amounts of material in a very short time.
Belt sanders work on a continuous loop principle. It is highly effective tool for removing roughness and preparing woodwork for less aggressive tools in the process like random orbit and finishing sanders.
It is essential to size your belt sander to fit your needs.
- Orbital Sander: That's because orbital sanders are versatile. These will polish a piece of wood to give the same brightness as a well-finished sanding machine.
Another advantage of orbital sanding machines is their one-hand operation, as opposed to requiring both hands as belt scrubbers.
- Air Sander
Air sander is generally lighter. After all, there was no motor. As a result, they can also be quieter and more lasting. The tools are usually much cheaper. However, the downside of the air sander is the dust collector. It is often congested
- Sanding space size: This is no general tool review, where we tell you that an honest appraisal of what you need it for is your first step. We’ve established that you need a sander for your deck. So, the question becomes: what, honestly, do you need this for?
Not all decks are created equally. Some decks have odd-shaped corners and differences in design. If you have detail work, you’re going to want a sander that accommodates it. If you like monotonous looking things, you’ll want a model that delivers speed and power while giving short shrift to versatility.
- Price: Getting a decent sander doesn’t mean emptying out your bank account. You can get decent quality at a pretty reasonable price, especially if deck sanding is all you’re going to do with it. Sometimes we’d suggest looking in the middle to match quality and price, but we found that the middle ground on sanders doesn’t offer great value.
- Product: It’s difficult to recommend the best sander for furniture because there are so many different applications.
With a different wood product, there will be different criteria to choose different sanding products.
- Cabinetry making: There is a difference between furniture making and cabinet making. There is little difference between sanding requirements, though, and you will likely use both belt sanders and sheet finishing sanders.
- Stair construction: This skill requires a large amount of sanding, with particular attention to speed and smoothness. Here, the wireless random orbital sander is irreplaceable.
- Toy production: Good work like making toys requires unique tools like disc grinding or palm sanders.
What to pay attention to when choosing a sander?
Whether you choose a belt sander, an orbital sander, or an air sander, you should keep the following in mind so that you can choose the right sander for your wood products.
- Hand grips: Powerful sanders have heavy vibration, while small sanders need intricate control to avoid damaging fine details.
- Soft grips make it much easier to hold and control your sander.
- Dust collection: Creating dust when sanding is inevitable. However, choose a product with a good dust collection system to avoid interrupting the finishing process of your wood product.
- Speed: Speed is important for finishing your product well or not. For products with large cross section, you need with a strong speed, fast and decisively. And for those products that need meticulous details, you need a softer and softer speed.
Popular Brands Make The Best Sander
- Makita: In 1958, Makita Corporation, which was founded in 1915 as an electric motor sales and repair company, became the first company in Japan to manufacture and sell electric planers. Over the half century since, Makita has worked to build a steady position as a manufacturer of portable power tools and, today, continues its quest forward to provide products and services that are beneficial to all types of customers engaged in housing construction. Makita's history also parallels that of the evolution of power tools and, over the course of its history, Makita has worked to dovetail its products to its customers' developing needs.
- Bosch: The Bosch Group encompasses a number of different brands which are tailored to individual market requirements, and whose products and services are also designed to improve quality of life.
Our products and services are designed to spark enthusiasm, improve quality of life, and help conserve natural resources. We want to deliver top quality and reliability. In short: we want to create technology that is “Invented for life.”
- DeWalt: DeWalt (trademarked as DᴇWALT) is an American worldwide brand of power tools and hand tools for the construction, manufacturing and woodworking industries. DeWalt is a trade name of Black & Decker (U.S.) Inc., a subsidiary of Stanley Black & Decker.
A great tool for those who are passionate about woodworking. Even if you are not a carpenter, the orbital sander supports you almost perfectly to smooth the wood surface. You have chosen for yourself which product suits your features and budget yet. Hope our article will help you.