If you have space for a small garden, you should make it a beautiful one and you definitely deserve for that.
Firstly, you need to understand your garden first:
- A small garden is up to 100m² (1,076 ft²) can be worked with a mini-tiller.
- A medium garden is from 100m² to 320m² (1,076 ft² to 3,444 ft²) are manageable with a 5- to 6-horsepower tiller.
- A large garden is from 320m² to 800m² (3,444 ft² to 8,611 ft²) call for a tiller with at least a 6-horsepower engine.
Then, without wasting much time; we researched, experienced and picked all best tillers for small garden below.
Here are the best tillers for small garden you can buy in 2020:
- Best Overall: Sun Joe TJ604E 16" 13.5 AMP Electric Garden Tiller
- Runner-up: Sun Joe TJ603E 16" 12-Amp Electric Tiller
- Best lightweight gas-powered: Mantis 7924 Fast Start Gas Tiller
- Premium gas-powered: Honda FG110 9" 25 cc Gas Mini Tiller
- Best for super-mini garden: Earthwise TC70025 7.5" 2.5-Amp Electric Tiller
- Most Powerful: Earthquake 20015 Versa Front Tine Tiller
- Best cordless: BLACK+DECKER LGC120 20-Volt Lithium Ion Cordless Garden Tiller
- Best budget: Earthwise TC70001 11" 8.5-Amp Electric Tiller
Best Overall: Sun Joe TJ604E 16" 13.5 AMP Electric Garden Tiller
- 3-position wheel adjustment
- Great for small spaces
- Not great for large gardens or breaking new ground
A powerful 13.5-amp motor quickly pulverizes dirt, effortlessly slicing through the soil at 370 RPM, ensuring maximum aeration and perfectly preparing the seedbed for planting. Cultivate an area 16-inches wide and up to 8-inches.
Control weeds where needed - Sun Joe tames the toughest yard and garden tasks with more comfort and less strain. 3-position, height-adjustable rear wheels make it easy to maneuver wherever it’s needed - and its collapsible handle makes it a cinch to store when it’s not.
One little “secret” of Sun Joe TJ604E’s tilling power and smoothness is its well-designed blades. Consecutive “fins” in the tines face opposing directions so that when they turn, they work on different parts of the soil. That makes the tilling job more efficient.
|Sun Joe TJ604E 16" 13.5 AMP Electric Garden Tiller Specifications|
|Cultivating Width (max)||16 inches|
|Cultivating Depth (max)||8 inches|
|Tilling Blades||6 steel blades|
This is the perfect tiller if you want to control weeds with minimal work. It is also perfect for storage almost anywhere!
Runner-up: Sun Joe TJ603E 16" 12-Amp Electric Tiller
- Two-in-one machine
- 6 steel blades with deep reach into soil
- Adjustable wheels
- Easy-start button
- Lightweight and does not apply pressure on blades
This tiller is powered by a 12-Amp motor which cuts right through the yard with ease. With 6 steel angled blades, they can penetrate the soil easier and churn it better with each running. The cuts are 16 inches in width and 8 inches in depth.
The large handle is foldable for easier storage. The unit becomes compact once you fold the handle, and can even be transported around with greater ease. This is a huge bonus point if you need this tiller for professional use.
Sun Joe TJ603E is a corded tiller that uses 120 volts. You can adjust the wheels into 3 different positions to better steer the tiller around the yard while you work. A low maintenance product is always satisfying, and Sun Joe TJ603E is just that. Without the need for any fuel or gas, starting this machine is as easy as pressing a button.
The issue of this tiller is quite similar to the issue with the Earthwise tiller; they don’t weigh a lot. It’s due to this that the tiller doesn’t work as well it should.
Professional tillers are much larger in size and they have a considerable amount of weight. Though these aren’t made for use in a garden, they are the perfect example to show how weight makes the difference. Without any weight, the blades will never be pressed into the dirt, rocks, and solid soil. They’ll roll over and bump off harmlessly.
|Sun Joe TJ603E 16" 12-Amp Electric Tiller Specifications|
|Cultivating Width (max)||16 inches|
|Cultivating Depth (max)||8 inches|
|Tilling Blades||6 steel tilling blades|
Sun Joe is the first on this list to combine the makings of a tiller with a cultivator for a two-in-one machine. Now, you can get two jobs done in one go. Break up the soil and fertilize it at the same time to make your life so much easier.
Best lightweight gas-powered: Mantis 7924 Fast Start Gas Tiller
- Steel tines are durable
- Grip is soft and comfortable
- Easy starting system
- Strong enough to handle any kind of soil!
- Incredibly Durable with a solid warranty
- Not safe for the environment
- Isn’t as strong in cold weather
This tiller is lightweight, just 20 lbs. But it tackles big jobs like breaking through sod or digging holes for planting new shrubs and trees easier than using a shovel. Just flip the tines around to cultivate and speed-weed around delicate plants and seedlings!
State of the art designed grips for comfortable, fatigue-free operation. Flush-mounted throttle, palm-controlled switch with infinite speed control for ease-of-operation.
Two-cycle (gas/oil mix) engine with FastStart technology for 75% faster and easier starting. The secret is a spring-loaded ratchet-coil that adjusts the piston and compresses the air while delivering fuel directly to the ignition point. That’s what makes starting faster, easier and with much less effort! Plus push button priming for quick, easy starts, time after time.
It digs up to 10 inches deep and almost 9 inches wide, making it one of the most versatile front-tine tillers on the list. This makes this tiller a good option for flower beds and areas close to your house.
|Mantis 7924 Fast Start Gas Tiller Specifications|
|Time speed||240 RPM|
|Displacement||21.2 CCs (1 Cylinder)|
|Fuel Tank Size||0.16 Gallons|
|Fuel Mix||50:1 (mix gas & oil together (50:1 mix ratio)|
|Tilling Width Max||9 Inches|
|Tilling Depth Max||10 Inches|
This is a gas tiller that is incredibly durable and incredibly easy to start with Fast Start Technology (requires 75% less starting effort)! Most gardeners agree this is one of the biggest factors when purchasing a tiller.
Premium gas-powered: Honda FG110 9" 25 cc Gas Mini Tiller
- Great to use for both home and commercial projects
- Has a compact size, making it easily movable
- Adjustable depth bar and adjustable speed
- Extremely versatile
- More expensive than competitors for the power it has.
The Honda gas Mini-Tiller Cultivator has a 25 cc four-stroke powerful engine. This tiller comes with a front-guard engine protector and heavy-duty components that make it last much longer than its competitors. It is a low fuel machine and consumes less fuel without curbing or affecting the performance of the machine. The engine is easy to start and begin work with. There is an engine guard at the front that protects the machine
It’s also a pretty environmentally-friendly gardening tool with minimal fuel emissions. The controlled emissions mean you won’t have to deal with the bad odor from the fuel that’s typically present in many electric machines. You also save some time as the engine is designed to work on gas alone. There’s no need to prepare the fuel by creating a blend of gas and oil before use.
Honda specially designed cultivated tines on the FG110. Half of the tines are angled for cultivating while the other half are angled for tilling. When you want to cultivate the soil, you simply use the regular tines. On the other hand, whenever you need to till the ground, remove the regular tines and adjust the setup to a tilling position.
This makes it a great option for flower beds, herb gardens, and small vegetable gardens.
|Honda FG110 9" 25 cc Gas Mini Tiller Specifications|
|Time speed||294 RPM|
|Fuel Tank Size||0.15 Gallons|
|Tilling Width Max||9 inches|
If you want a tiller with a tremendous engine than you have to buy a Honda.
Best for super-mini garden: Earthwise TC70025 7.5" 2.5-Amp Electric Tiller
- Very affordable.
- Simple to use.
- 4 steel blades make deep cuts
- Easy-on switch
- Lightweight doesn’t add enough pressure and blades bounce off rocks
While it's not designed for huge tasks, the Earthwise 7.5-Inch does a good job of ripping up weeds and dressing soil that's already broken up. It's incredibly lightweight compared to most others, and perfect for getting winterized plots ready for spring.
- Ideal for raised-bed gardening
- Not particularly powerful
- Can get stuck on thick roots
The Earthwise tiller is powered by a 2.5-Amp engine plugged into an outlet before you start working. This engine keeps you running swiftly, and its durability is strong to enough to last long periods of work at a time.
There are four steel tines on this tiller. Each one of these can till up to 7.5 inches wide and 6 inches deep for a thorough tilling. You’ll have the best experience with this tool if your garden is a smaller or medium-sized one. If you plan on creating flower beds or uprooting weeds in the yard then this tiller is the right tool for the job.
This Earthwise tiller is a corded solution to your gardening requirements, which is an answer that leaves less of a carbon footprint than gas models. The grip handles are soft and ergonomically designed to not strain your wrist for the time you use this tiller.
|Earthwise TC70025 7.5" 2.5-Amp Electric Tiller Specifications|
|Motor||2.5 amp (280 RPM)|
|Cultivating Width (max)||7.5 inches|
|Cultivating Depth (max)||6 inches.|
|Tilling Blades (Steel)||4 steel tilling blades|
This miniature powerhouse of the classically styled tiller is just the solution for homeowners with smaller yards but big plans. To churn and break up the soil in your yard, this tiller makes it not only easy but enjoyable and efficient.
Most Powerful: Earthquake 20015 Versa Front Tine Tiller
- Excellent maneuverability and ease of use
- Quiet and convenient with smooth-pull recoil for effortless ignition
- Lower center of gravity for premium stability
- Adjustable handlebars allow for use by different people
- Powerful engine till and cultivates all types of soil quickly and easily
- May not be suitable for virgin ground with lots of sod and compact soil
- It is not cool that you must remove part of the handle to remove the shields
- It would be excellent if the handles were a little bit longer (for taller users)
The Earthquake 20015 Versa Front Tine Tiller presents a compact design that offers excellent maneuverability and balance. It boasts of one of the lowest centers of gravity possible with any front tine tiller. The result is perfect ground-hugging for proper tillage. Although the tiller is a small type, it has the power and performance of the full-size models. This makes tilling straightforward and quick.
The compact design means it can get into tight corners and rows in your garden. This feature is excellent for individuals with smaller gardens with borders that are not straight.
A high-quality 99cc Viper Engine powers the Earthquake 20015. The engine is extremely efficient and high performance. Initially made by Chrysler, Viper is a 4-cycle engine that has more torque and is more fuel efficient than 2-cycle engines. It operates less noisily and delivers the right amount of power to till all types of soil.
The engine has a durable cast-aluminum gear driven transmission that needs gas only. This will allow you to get the work done quickly and without any hassles. As you may know, viper engines are durable. Your tiller will serve you for years without requiring an overhaul or replacement.
An annoying thing about gas-powered engines is engine starting. This engine starts very quickly and smoothly via pull recoil.
You do not have to worry if you need a cultivator for an existing garden. The Earthquake 20015 Versa Front Tine Tiller allows for tool-less removal of the outer tines and shields rapidly. This action will quickly turn the tiller into a reliable cultivator.
|Earthquake 20015 Versa Front Tine Tiller Specifications|
|Engine Type||Viper 4-Cycle|
|Tine speed||163 RPM|
|Fuel Capacity||0.53 Gallons|
|Cultivating Width (max)||Adjustable: 11", 16" or 21"|
|Cultivating Depth (max)||11 inches.|
It operates less noisily and delivers the right amount of power to till all types of soil.
Best cordless: BLACK+DECKER LGC120 20-Volt Lithium Ion Cordless Garden Tiller
- Cordless power for quick and easy weeding and aeration
- Easy on the budget
- Quiet, will not make a large amount of noise
- Per charge, this garden tiller can mix 325 sq ft area with ease.
- It is not advisable for clays
- It is not suitable for breaking new grounds. This means, you have to chunk down your land yourself first.
The Black & Decker LGC120 20V Cordless Cultivator has a tangle-free tine design that gives it the right to vie for the best cordless cultivator title, even just for the small-garden category. It is ideal for day-to-day small garden maintenance . It offers counter-oscillating removable tines, two ergonomic handles, and many other benefits you need for a cultivator.
The 20V cordless cultivator by the company, Black & Decker, is a budget-friendly power tool. The lithium battery allows the user to cultivate up to 325 sq. feet of planted beds between charges, while ensuring long lasting battery life.
It is super lightweight, making it quite easy to transport, and to store when you are not using it. It is also easy to use, with its adjustable length, and it tends to be much quieter than many of its competitor models, so you will not blow out your eardrums when using this machine.
It has some added in safety features, including a safety button that you will need to press and hold in order to activate this tool, so no need to worry at all about your kids accidentally turning it on. Plus, it is incredibly efficient and effective – users report they do not need to put a lot of effort into pushing this tiller, as it is tough enough to get the majority of the work done on its own. What could be better?
|BLACK+DECKER LGC120 20-Volt Lithium Ion Cordless Garden Tiller Specifications|
|Power||20-volt MAX lithium-ion battery|
|Cultivating Width (max)||7 inches.|
|Cultivating Depth (max)||4 inches.|
|Tilling Blades (Steel)||2 Tines|
|Battery||1 LBXR20 20V MAX Battery|
1 LCS120 Smart Charger
Budget-friendly power tool. While its 20V-max lithium-ion battery may seem to have a rather low capacity, it can already cultivate a 325-sq-ft land in a single charge.
Best budget: Earthwise TC70001 11" 8.5-Amp Electric Tiller
- Adequate power for small tasks
- Nice mid range cutting capacity (11 inches by 8 inches)
- Comfortable and easy to use with safety features such as the grip only operation and cord hook
- Easily transportable
- This tiller cannot function without connecting it to your power source.
- No variable speed options
For those that require less power and may only occasionally pull out the garden tiller for some ground work, this 8.5 amp option from Earthwise may well be the way to go. The Earthwise is very mobile and relatively lightweight – transportation is made easy with flip up and down rear wheels.
Safety options are good. The tiller is designed to shut down as soon as the handle is released.
The manufacturers have taken care to provide an ergonomic handle. This features a cushioned grip for extra comfort, and there is also a convenient cord retention hook to help ensure the power cord doesn’t become a nuisance.
|Earthwise TC70001 11" 8.5-Amp Electric Tiller Specifications|
|Cultivating Width (max)||7 - 11 inches|
|Cultivating Depth (max)||8 inches|
|Tilling Blades (Steel)||4 adjustable tines|
Considered garden size, price and overall feedback from the the internet and even friends; and it led me to this product.
How To Choose A Good Tillers For Small Garden?
- Cultivators Many people refer to cultivators as tillers, but they are a distinct category from the hardier garden tillers that are also available. Cultivators are relatively lightweight and affordable tools that are good for stirring soil. Unlike larger, more powerful garden tillers, they aren’t as useful for breaking new ground, but if your garden is already established, they can still make a lot of the labor of taking care of it easier.
- Garden tillers are larger machines that bring enough power to break ground, as well as being useful for soil stirring and plowing.
By engine type
- Gasoline fuel system. It is a powerful and versatile device, primarily designed to work on large areas.
- Electric. Lightweight, mobile and compact, unlike gasoline one. The electric cultivator is mainly chosen for the garden, processing flower beds and small beds. As the name suggests, it works from the power grid, which means it does not harm the environment.
- The battery-powered cultivator is more mobile and compact than the electric one.
- Front-tine tillers work more like their smaller counterparts, cultivators. They're great for tilling established beds and stirring up slightly loose soil.
- Rear-Tine Tillers: For breaking up the hardest, most compact soils, get a rear-tine tiller. These are equipped with large, rugged tires for stability to work through soils of all conditions.
With rear-tine tillers, you have a few options for how they can rotate:
- Standard rotating tines (SRT) rotate in the same direction of the wheels and are good for soil that’s up to five inches deep.
- Counter rotating tines (CRT) rotate away from the wheels, which makes them a bit more powerful. They’re good for breaking up tougher soils, like those with clay in them.
- Dual rotating tines (DRT) offer both options.
- Vertical dual rotating tines (VDRT) are a powerful option that point downward and turn, which makes them more efficient and quiet than other options.
If you know your soil type, then figuring out the right tines will help ensure you can tackle the job at hand with the tiller you buy.
Which Brands Make The Best Tillers For Small Garden?
Craftsman: Craftsman makes tillers that come in a range of sizes and prices. Their tillers get mixed, but mostly positive reviews. The customers that weren’t happy had a range of complaints such as motor problems and annoying maintenance needs like having to replace parts frequently. But more common are the happy customers who like the power of the tillers, say they handle smoothly, and praise the value for the price.
Earthquake sells an array of cultivators and tillers that earn strong reviews from customers. Their products get praise for being powerful, versatile, and easy to handle. A few customers complain about their tillers being hard to start or having parts break, but they’re in the minority. The majority of customers are satisfied with their Earthquake tillers.
Honda offers tillers in a wide range of styles, types, and prices. Reviews for their tillers are routinely positive. Customers say their Honda tillers are high quality, easy to use and control, quiet, and powerful. Five-star ratings are common, suggesting you’re in good hands if you go with Honda.
Mantis sells a wide range of tillers that have a strong reputation for quality among customers. Customers say their tillers are easy to put together, easy to start, and easy to use. They also say they’re powerful and till effectively. Reviewers have a lot of praise to give to Mantis and very few criticisms. They’re clearly a reliable brand to go with.
You don’t need just any tiller, you need one that’s most fit for the job you’ll be putting it to. Consider your garden size, your soil, and the types of uses you want your tiller to be able to take on. The right tiller can save you a lot of work and energy, while helping you keep your garden well maintained and successful. Good luck to your job and we believe you deserve a beautiful garden.